Thursday, May 29, 2014

Memorial Day Weekend

About a week ago my SIL Melanie asked if she could take our boys to the zoo!
Looking back I remember thinking....she's taking BOTH boys for the day and Travis and I will have the day to ourselves??....HELLS YES!!
 
The day came and the boys were ready and so were Travis and I!!
 
I'm not going to lie....I had anxiety about them being that far away for so long!
I completely trust Melanie (the boys wouldn't have gone if I didn't!) but I don't trust everyone else on the road!! 
{Can totally admit I'm a crazy mom!}
 
Travis told me I was being ridiculous and to pull myself together! 
After almost puking and being queasy with a headache I realized he may have a point!
 
So we got the day started....
....but not without a fight!!!
 
Well.....at the last minute Pierce decided he didn't want to go!
In my mind it wasn't an option.  Melanie planned this whole day, Taylor was excited for him to go and not to mention I had mentally prepared myself for the day too!
 
It was an all out screaming, crying, throwing his car seat out of the car fit!
I knew Melanie was taking it personally and I assured her it wasn't her at all!
He told us he wanted one of us to go along.
He had major anxiety about going!
 
I have no idea where he gets that;)
 
We're working on it people, kay?!  OK!
 
 So we physically pushed Pierce into her vehicle and walked in the house....
....hardest thing I've ever done!!!
 
After wiping away tears of my own I had Travis call Melanie!
She told us he was totally fine as soon as we were out of the picture!
I knew he would be!!
 
So they went on and enjoyed their day!!!
Bravest women I know taking 4 kids to the zoo an hour and a half away BY HERSELF!!
The kids had a blast and have talked about ever since!
 
Travis and I also enjoyed the day golfing...
...until we got rained out after 5 holes.
So we took off for Iowa City and did a big Walmart trip and ate at Buffalo Wild Wings!
We came back home and I took a 2 hour nap....best.nap.ever!!!
{I'm not going to lie...I had anxiety all day!!}
 
Pierce and I both survived the day...mine included a few alcoholic drinks to ease the nerves but survived non the less! ;)
 
****************************************
Our city park displays the flags of local heroes on Memorial Day!
I love walking through the park when they are up!
 
Travis and I took the boys to look for all my grandpas flags!
It was a success....
Leon Spratt, Carroll S. Berry & Kenny Donohoe!


So pretty!!


We went to Holbrook for the their service and got a picture with my Uncle John after the service!
 
We also found our friends Luke and Claire!
They were thrilled I was taking a picture;)
 
****************************************
 
My favorite quote I read on Memorial Day that resonated with me was...
 
...We are the home of the FREE because of the BRAVE!
 
So very true!
THANKS to all who served and those that continue to serve!!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment