Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Rose Bowl 2016

Mid December I was at a preschool board meeting and my BFF, Stacy, says to me..."I really think we should consider going to the Rose Bowl...we can keep it cheap and drive!"
I immediately thought she was being ridiculous and brushed it off as a joke!
 
After the  meeting she pulled me aside and assured me she was not kidding and we should really think about it!
 
I mentioned it to Travis when I got home and he had a look of excitement in his eyes and I knew I was going!
 
He had his nose in his atlas the rest of the night (yes, he's one of the few people who still use an atlas!) figuring out a game plan of driving, how many miles it would be (1750 if anyone cares!) and even figured out gas expenses!!

 
We had a few conversations and I really tried to get out of it...
...not because I don't love Hawkeye Football but because it is a 24 hour drive, I'm pregnant, can't partake in adult beverages, I hate being a passenger in the vehicle (I'm a "point A to point B in the quickest possible way" kind of gal!), I already had the time off work to spend with my boys and going on this trip would take away from that....
....and so on and so on!
I went as far as to beg him to make it a guys trip!
{BFF Stacy wasn't having that!}
 
None of it worked...
....and on December 29th off we went to California!
 
We left this cold, white crap!!
The Horvaths were in Kearny, NE at Mark's parents (where they left their kids) so we had to pick them up!
Stacy had no problems sleeping in the vehicle and probably slept 18 out of the 24!
I was jealous because I didn't get much sleep at all!
Our route to California was Iowa to Nebraska to Colorado to Utah to Nevada and finally to California....straight through!
 The drive was beautiful and Utah really surprised me with its scenery!
 (I believe this was Arizona on the way home!)
 
Ugh, finally arrived at our destination...25 hours later!
 
NEW YEARS EVE!!
 
We slept in on NYE and slowly started our day!
 
We stayed with my mom's BFF from high school, Rose, and her place was perfect!
Her sister lives right down the road so she gave up her two bedroom condo for us and stayed with her sister three nights!  It was very much appreciated!!
 
Our first stop was Seal Beach!
It was a bit chilly but we made the most of its beauty!
 
Rose's daughter, Ellen, drove us all around and was Travis' personal history guide!
 
After the beach we met Rose and her other daughter, Katie for drinks and appetizers!
 
 After drinks and apps we went to the USS Iowa (BB-61).
They were giving free tours to anyone that showed an Iowa ID.
As you can imagine it was crazy busy and the wait was 3 hours long and we didn't have time to tour the ship.  Travis was bummed but he'll survive!
 They did shoot off the back of the ship so we were around to hear that!
LOUD!!
 There were lots of things to do and we took part!
There was over 20,000 Iowans to tour the ship that day...a record high!!
 
After the ship we found a yummy seafood restaurant on the water!
It was delicious!!
 
Last picture of 2015!
I will admit we did not see midnight in California but we watched the ball drop Eastern time!!
{Cheers with a Sprite..wah wah!}
 
******************************
 
NEW YEARS DAY!!
GAME DAY!!
 
So excited for the game!!!
 
Beautiful backdrop for tailgating!
 
We were just standing at our vehicle tailgating and I saw my sisters nephews, Matt and Zach walk by!
Had to get a picture for Kellie!
 
We also planned to meet up with my SIL Amy's brother, Jerad and his friend Andrew!
 
Four or Five jets were writing a message in the sky so we were all getting a picture of it!
(My friend Jess took the pic and I was shocked at my baby bump!! 15 weeks!!)
Here's what we were taking a picture of....
Pic #1 "America Is Great..."
Pic #2 "Trump Is Disgusting!"
Pic #3: "Anybody But Trump!"
I'm not getting political here (that's NOT me!) but it was so neat to see these jets doing all this then to have this message as a result was hilarious!!
 
Okay, back to tailgating!!
We had a fun group from Williamsburg representing!!
 
Had to get this picture in front of the Rose Bowl!
 
 Security was ridiculous...but made me feel safe!
This was the line just to get in our gate!
We left our tailgate (right outside stadium) at 12:20pm and we did not get to our seats until 1:50pm!
 
We had amazing seats!!
 
Our poor Hawkeyes struggled the whole game which was very sad to watch...
...but we made the most of it and cheered on our Hawks til the end!!
 
Travis was NOT happy about the game (luckily he kept it to himself...some Hawkeye fans did not!) so he wasn't exactly thrilled to be taking this picture!
Smile Travis!!
 
There's a smile from the hubs!!
 
I was obviously the DD on the way back from game and I had to deal with these doozies!!
I'm only kidding....kind of!
 I decided In-&-Out Burgers would be best for everyone...
...and that most definitely included Mark...LMAO!!!
 
*****************************
 
JANUARY 2ND....THE DRIVE HOME:(
 
Our route home included California to Arizona to New Mexico to Colorado to Nebraska to Iowa!
 
 Look how happy we are to start the trip!!!
There are no pictures during or after the trip because around hour 14 in the vehicle we realized we had another 14 hours to go!
We drove straight through and it was a haul!
I was fine and dandy the first 14 hours but I was a royal bitch the rest of the trip!
I.WAS.DONE.
I wanted to be home and out of that car!!
My ankles swelled up and I was just uncomfortable!
 
So...Stacy, Mark and Travis...I am sorry you had to see me at my worst;)
 
We left California at 7:45 am on Saturday and got home at 1pm on Sunday!
 
After getting the boys back home all was well in the world again!!
 
The boys had a great time and that was never a question in my mind!!
I love this picture my SIL Jeana sent to me!
Thank you to my parents, Travis' parents, Arec & Jeana and Austin and Melanie for watching our boys while we were gone!
It truly does take a village and we have the best one!!!
 
******************************
A lot of people have asked me "bet you're mad you wasted your time and money on that game, aren't you?!!"
"Do you regret going now?!"
"Will you ever go again?!"
 
Here's how I answer that....NO!!!
No, I am not mad we went!  We did NOT waste our time or money!  It's all what you make of it people!!!
No, we do NOT regret going!
And hell NO I will not be driving to California EVER again!!!  Flying?!  Yes, for sure!!  It was beautiful there and I for sure want to go back!! Just not in a vehicle!
 
 
Welcome to 2016 folks!
Make what you want of it!



No comments:

Post a Comment