Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Life Lessons

I'm gonna lay it all out there now and tell you my kids have a TV in their room!
I've got no shame in admitting that!
 
After books and the nightly routine they get a half hour to hour of TV...depending on when they fall asleep!  The TV usually comes on at 8pm and sometimes they're asleep by 8:15!
Bedtime is so much smoother this way!
 
Okay, moving on!
Their TV is a really old box TV from our college years!
In the last month it has started to make an awful buzzing noise...it drives the boys and myself nuts!
 
So Travis and I talked about it and decided to get them a new TV.
 
With Easter coming up we debated having the Easter Bunny bring it...
...but we were hesitant because that's a big gift for Santa...let alone the EB (in our house!).
 
I also didn't want to just replace the old TV with the new one because that doesn't teach them anything...other then they get whatever they want!
 
So we decided to make them earn it!
That's right...we're putting our kids to work!
 
I came up with these daily and weekly chores we'll keep track of for a few weeks until they earn it...
To be clear, my kids do most of these chores every single day...
...we just don't track them!
 
Their daily chores listed are:
*Brush teeth
Make bed
Sleep in your own bed
*Get mail
Help load dishwasher after supper
*Dirty clothes in hamper
Help set table
 
Their weekly chores listed are:
*Recycling
*Clean laundry room
*Put clean clothes away
*Sweep floors
Wipe baseboards
Wipe door knobs and light switches
*Clean your room
Dust
*Clean your bathroom
 
(Chores with a * are the ones they already do daily/weekly along with others not listed)
 
This is going to be a struggle for me also!
I'm a bit of a control freak and have certain ways of doing things...say the dishwasher for instance!  I had a very hard time giving that up!  But a close friend of mine suggested letting them load it and I can re-load it when they go to bed. 
 
We started and Pierce is loving it...and Cash is slacking!
I knew that would happen!
They're going to learn teamwork fast because there's one TV, one bedroom and TWO boys!
 
The TV has already been delivered so they can actually see it...but can't have it just yet!
 
Wish me luck while managing them;)
 
****************************************
 
How would you have handled this situation??!!
I would love feedback!!


No comments:

Post a Comment